Are you bored with your job? Ready for a career change but not sure about starting over? Are you an empty nester? If you’ve asked yourself these questions, I have the perfect solution! Become a background actor! You will have flexible schedules, meet new people, and get to do something different every time. In addition, you are fed, dressed, and often times you get your hair and makeup done on set! It’s awesome!
Everywhere you look in Georgia, a movie or TV show is being made. The Georgia Film, Music & Digital Entertainment Office states that more than 700 feature films, TV movies, TV series, single episodes, and pilots have been produced in Georgia since 1972. In fiscal year 2017, film and TV production had an economic impact in Georgia of $9.5 billion.
While Hollywood remains the heart of the film industry, Georgia has become the New Hollywood. In 2016, more major feature films were made in Georgia than in California, according to data from the Los Angeles film office. Movies filmed here have dominated the box office in 2018, thanks to Marvel Studios’ recent migration to Georgia: parts of Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War and Ant-Man and the Wasp were all shot in Atlanta. TV shows such as The Resident, Star, MacGyver, Insatiable, and Dynasty are a few of the shows shot in the Atlanta area.
With all the movies and television shows being made in Georgia, there’s plenty of work for people in the industry or people wanting to get into the industry. Doing background work is the best way to get involved. Here are a few tips to get started:
1. Register with multiple casting companies. The big ones are: Central Casting, Rose Locke Casting, Tammy Smith Casting, Destination Casting, Extras Casting Atlanta, Background Artist Casting Atlanta, Hylton Casting, and CL Casting.
2. Get some nice pictures taken of yourself with several different looks, dressy, casual and business. Take pictures of full body, waist up and shoulders up. There is no need to spend lots of money on professional headshots, but if you want to splurge, go for it!
3. Log in to the casting companies though Facebook, Instagram or their website.
4. Register your name and all necessary information. Hint- DO NOT LIE ABOUT YOUR AGE OR SIZES. They will never hire you again if you claim you are a size 2 and show up as a size 22.
5. Submit for parts where you have open availability.
6. When waiting to hear if you got the gig, DO NOT call to see if you got the part. WAIT for an email or text message from the casting company.
7. If you get selected, respond ASAP to confirm.
8. Read the directions thoroughly about hair, makeup and wardrobe.
9. Get directions from your favorite search engine ( I prefer WAZE) to make sure you know where you are going.
10. I like getting places early. So try to be about 30 min early to get settled and to fill out all of the paperwork.
11. Bring your identification required to complete the I-9 form.
12.Bring a pen to fill out paperwork
13. Be quiet while in the Holding area unless you’re told you can talk.
14. Make new friends because you will be with these people all day and often times you will be with them on several different shows!
15. Be kind, polite and courteous to all crew.
16. Once on set…Do not talk! Listen to the director! Follow directions!
17. Days on set are long so be prepared for a 10-14 hour day. (Sometimes they are much shorter).
18. Make sure your voucher is properly filled out. The PA will check it. Thank the PA.
19. Save your pink slip and keep in a folder until your check comes which takes anywhere from 2-4 weeks.
20. Keep on submitting!
If you follow these simple rules, you will be a stellar background star! Just don’t get discouraged if you are not selected. Some weeks you’ll be super busy and other weeks not as much. But keep submitting and don’t give up!